Bubbytblog

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Puzzling behavior

On Shabbos Shuva our rav said to pick one mitzvah and try to stick with it. Since I have been really bad about going to shul on Shabbos I thought that should be a good one to start. I have been going to the hashkama minyan almost every week (minus about 2-3) since then and I'm proud of myself. (it was freezing this Shabbos early in the morning!!)

My hubby is gabbai and I love watching him "perform." Every week he gets up to say the Tefillah for the govt, the tefillah for Medinat Eretz Yisrael, and the Tefillah for tzahal.

People sit through all three!! I understand (but don't agree) sitting during the tefillah for the medina since many people don't agree that the state of Israel is "Reishit tzmichat geulateinu"...fine, don't stand for that. But...the tefillah for our government. Even if you don't agree with the policies of the administration and have trouble with them...we're still in the medina shel chessed. Think back in history - In what other countries were Jews allowed the freedom they have here? I always think of the gov't spies spying in shul somewhere in Europe when I say kedusha for mussaf, as that is the supposed reason they put the shma in kedusha.

And the tefillah for "tzva hagannah l'yisrael". Ok, you don't believe in the medina, but we do have a medina and it is tzahal who is defending this medina so that your sons and daughters can learn in relative peace in their yeshivos and seminaries.
Daven for their welfare. It directly impacts on the welfare of those whom you love.

6 Comments:

  • I don't really have an issue with the stand vs. sit thing. It's not as if we stand for all of the most "important" Tefillos; after all, we are permitted, and some say obligated, to sit during Shema.

    My problem is that the shul custom is CLEARLY to stand up during these. For people to just come and sit because they're opposed to them, despite their being an established custom to stand, is wrong. Hoards of guests come for Yom Tov and refuse to stand for these.

    By Blogger AlanLaz, at 12/02/2007  

  • It's not the guests...it's the "regulars" and I guess that is the point of my post..it is a shul minhag in our shul.

    By Blogger BubbyT, at 12/02/2007  

  • Doesn't the gabbai or the rabbi ask everyone to stand (in the main minyan, at least)?

    By Blogger SaraK, at 12/03/2007  

  • Nah...but I am sure there are those who sit in main minyan also!!

    By Blogger BubbyT, at 12/04/2007  

  • i think it's just laziness.

    By Blogger nyfunnyman, at 12/05/2007  

  • In addition to the issue of poresh min ha'tzibbor, there is the false claim made by many that we are unable to change the nusach ha'tefillah. That claim is ridiculous, as the nusach ha'tefilla has changed phenomenally over the past 1000 years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/11/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home