Bubbytblog

Monday, September 03, 2007

Baruch Dayan Haemes

I just heard the news that my former principal, my mentor, my friend, Leo Reich A"H passed away. My initial reaction was "I lost a second father." That is the way I thought of Mr. Reich. I had taught a little from 1969-1972, first talmud torah for my father, A"H, and two years (not fully two) at Beth Tfiloh. Yehudit was born in May, 1972 and I needed a job in September. It was Tisha B'av of 1972 when Mr. Reich called and offered me a job...it was a Sunday school class I remember, maybe two Sunday school classes...but that was the beginning.
Mr. Reich had confidence in this green 24 year old girl who thought she was a teacher. He led me, mentored me, taught me, groomed me, inspired me. To this day I say "Mr. Leo Reich made me into a teacher." He made sure I got teacher awards from the BJE. He even nominated me for a national teacher award. He boosted my ego everytime I saw him. That principal/teacher relationship lasted for 22 years. I left Ner Tamid when the hebrew school closed down and the only teachers left were me, Mr. Reich and Mrs. Reich. We remained friends...he always wanted me to treat him as an equal and call him Leo, which of course I couldn't. He was an unusual educator...he had faith in all the kids and remembered them years after they left Ner Tamid. The same was felt for all his TA boys. (and my hubby Alan was one of them, as Mr. Reich was his 3rd grade teacher.) Mr. Reich is now sitting in Gan Eden, I'm sure next to my father who was the same kind of teacher. They are comparing notes about their years in chinuch. I have yahrzeit for my mother A"H tonight, but when I light that candle in future years, I will always remember Leo Reich also. My students in school today will benefit from my friendship with Mr. Leo Reich. Yehi zichro Baruch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home