Bubbytblog

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Potential Chilul Hashem

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel I was in a situation which might have been a potential chilul Hashem and it really bothered me.

I was shopping at Target with my 3 oldest granddaughters - our chol Hamoed "trip" since both mothers were unavailable, one working, one laid up with a bad back. It was bubby's turn to "entertain".

I had a pretty full cart. "Hello Kitty" comforters that I promised Gila and Eden for their birthdays in September (no, I'm not lazy, they were out of them when I went closer to their birthdays), Eliana's purchases with her bat mitzvah present - Target gift card, a big box of new pots and pans which I need desperately and various odds and ends which probably added up to more than 10 items.

There were many cashiers available and I got on line behind someone, when the "10 or less" cashier motioned for me to come over. EVen if I had less than 10 (don't think so) The first 3 items took up the whole check out counter. The line was empty when I got on but as we were checking out, the line grew and I received dirty looks from people. I'm almost sure one woman behind was thinking "Oh those frummies, with their shaitels, and lots of kids, just taking advantage of the empty checkout at 10 or less."

I really felt bad. Lesson: we always have to hope our behavior doesn't cause a Chilul Hashem even if we are not the cause of our behavior.

2 Comments:

  • It's even more annoying when people get 20 things that are the same (i.e. 20 soda's) and go into the express lane saying "It's all one item, so it's ok!"

    By Blogger Natan, at 10/11/2006  

  • That cashier shouldn't have motioned for you to come into her line, but you are right.

    By Blogger SaraK, at 10/11/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home